Clothes can make or break your day. The smell and feel of brand new clothing that fits you well can instantly uplift your spirit. The bright colours, crisp feel and clean lines look as good as they feel. Wait! Did we say “clean”? Let’s revisit that word again.
What you may not know is that brand new clothes don’t always mean clean or hygienically manufactured clothes. New clothes contain chemicals in the dye such as formaldehyde to brighten the colour and texture that can cause allergic reactions on sensitive skin.
Clothes bought from thrift stores at bargain prices are often coloured with azo-aniline dyes that can cause severe allergies or skin irritation in children. Unkempt dressing rooms to try on brand new clothes are also a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses that are transferred from person to person. It is important to wash new clothes, especially undergarments, t-shirts, shorts or nightgowns, before wearing them.
Children’s clothes must be washed well with gentle, fragrance-free products because their skin is particularly sensitive. Washed brand new clothes, bed linen and bath towels often turn softer and more comfortable after a wash. Excess dye doesn’t transfer on to your skin or damage other fabrics that are in direct contact with them in your closet or washing machine. There is a particular way to wash brand new clothes to keep them in good condition. Here are a few helpful tips to remove unwanted odours and chemicals from brand new clothes:
How to Remove Odours from Brand New Clothes
- Soak the clothes in a bucket filled with lukewarm water overnight.
- Add 1 cup of baking soda before you wash.
- Add 1 cup of distilled white vinegar to the rinse cycle to remove detergent or fabric softener fragrances if there are allergies to scents in the family.
- Air dry the freshly washed clothes outdoors.
How to Reduce Colour Bleeding in Brand New Clothes
Chemicals are sometimes applied to clothes to prevent mildew from moisture exposure. Sometimes excessive dye is used to enhance brightness. Bleeding, chemical laden clothes can ruin other clothes while washing so clean them separately with these tricks.
- Read the washing instructions on the label before cleaning brand new clothes.
- Wash the garments separately the first time to remove excess dye.
- If you have several new clothes to wash, separate the white or lighter coloured clothes from the darker ones to avoid the latter to bleed colour into the lighter fabrics.
- Wash whites in hot water and coloured garments in cold water to avoid fading, shrinking or wrinkles.
- Turn jeans and coloured t-shirts with motifs inside out before washing.
- Air dry the clothes outdoors in your yard or balcony instead of tossing them in the dryer the first time.
- Use a high-quality detergent and unscented fabric softener if you wish to keep them soft and odour-free.
Extoggery – Designer Consignment Clothing Store
When it comes to brand new clothes, quality makes a big difference. High-end brands do not bleed colour, fade with every wash or absorb unwanted scents. If you are conscious about using hygienically manufactured products that hold up well for years, designer brands are the best and safest.
Toronto-based Extoggery is an upscale consignment clothing store that specializes in high-end branded outfits and accessories, including everything that is designer consignment. We offer only the highest quality, hand-picked items that are manufactured in stringently hygienic conditions. Check out our store for designer clothes from Armani to Rebecca Taylor, shoes, purses, belts or jewellery. Our clothing specialists are experts in appraising and examining only the best pieces for you. We have a wide selection of branded clothing and accessories. Our collection is refreshed often so each time you visit you will find something new. Check out our website to browse through our colourful collection.